I ran into an issue moving an application from CF9 to Railo 4.2 with file names that use extended utf-8 characters, such as Banner_Küste.jpg for example. The extended characters weren’t being correctly interpreted, rendered as ��. Hence in any file operation, Railo couldn’t find them, and the application would error out. Railo was also unable to render these images because they were not being found on the file system.
Since I’m in Switzerland, and all my clients use extended characters, in French, German and Italian, I needed a solution. Telling them not to use extended characters in their file names wasn’t palatable. It seemed particularly odd to me that Railo didn’t play well here, since its primary developers are European.
Adjusting the Charset settings panel to ensure UTF-8 was used didn’t help, but I found a simple solution in a bug report that Michel Gallant filed that did the trick for me.
As per Michel comment in the bug report, I added the following line to the end of the tomcat setenv.sh script, which you will find at
and then I restarted Railo to pick up the change. I was delighted it worked. Thanks very much Michel!
This server’s OS is Linux CentOS 7, and the above should work for any other Linux install as well. I’m not sure where this might be set on a Windows server, but it is the same file used to adjust the Tomcat/Java memory settings ( -Xms512m -Xmx1024m -XX:MaxPermSize=256m ).